Home » History, Mystery & Crime » The Boy Was Executed – Disappearance of Mary Emma Thames

The Boy Was Executed – Disappearance of Mary Emma Thames

In the year 1944, a tragic event unfolded in the state of South Carolina that saw the unfortunate demise of George Stinney Jr., a 14-year-old African American youth. Convicted for the grievous murder of two young girls, Mary Emma Thames and Betty June Binnicker, this heart-wrenching incident left a lasting mark on history. The lifeless bodies of Mary and Betty were discovered within the confines of a shallow trench adjacent to the railway tracks. It is worth noting that the townsfolk of Alcolu, where this harrowing event occurred, were left aghast by the shocking revelation, as their community had been actively searching for the missing girls in the days prior to the grim discovery. The formation of search parties was prompted by the fact that the girls had not returned home on the day preceding the unveiling of their lifeless forms.

Tragically, both Mary and Betty suffered brutal and severe beatings, resulting in fractures to their skulls, while they were engaged in the innocent act of collecting flowers. Their lives were cruelly snatched away by means of a railroad spike, an instrument of violence that inflicted them with significant blunt force trauma. The spike itself was found in close proximity to their lifeless forms.

The innocent persona of young George Stinney Jr. was irrevocably altered, as his proximity to the crime scene cast a suspicious shadow upon him. Dwelling near the place where the girls’ bodies were discovered, Stinney’s presence made him a prime suspect in the eyes of the investigators. It was recounted that the paths of Mary, Betty, and Stinney converged as they ceased their bike rides together to inquire of Stinney and his sister, Aime, regarding the location of yellow maypops. Notably, the local term for passionflowers in the region was “maypop.”

This interaction marked the final encounter between the girls and the young Stinney before their fateful demise. The subsequent discovery of their lifeless bodies further heightened the suspicions surrounding Stinney, as he was among the last individuals known to have seen them alive. Accounts from witnesses placed Stinney and his sister in the company of the girls, gathering wild blossoms. Yet, Stinney’s sister maintained an alibi, asserting that her brother had been with her, tending to their father’s cattle, at the time of the girls’ disappearance.

Stinney, along with his brother, faced immediate arrest, although his brother’s subsequent release shifted the focus solely onto him. Disturbingly, Stinney was subjected to police questioning without the presence of his parents. Despite claims of a confession by the authorities, fellow inmates attested to his continued protestations of innocence.

However, it is crucial to emphasize that no written confession materialized, and no tangible evidence linked Stinney to the heinous crime. Even during the interrogation, Stinney’s demeanor remained composed, respectful, and courteous, projecting an air of calmness amidst the turmoil.

In a wire service article dated 1944, a Sheriff purported that Stinney, referred to as “George Junius,” had confessed, leading the officers to a concealed piece of iron.

Several weeks following his arrest, Stinney’s mother was granted a glimpse of her son. During this poignant encounter, Stinney expressed his profound fear while vehemently denying any involvement in the alleged misdeed. Tragically, this poignant moment marked the last instance in which she would set eyes upon her beloved son. Official records regarding his trial and conviction remained elusive. Her next encounter with her son occurred under somber circumstances, as she was extended an invitation to claim his lifeless body subsequent to his execution.

The Judicial Proceedings:

George Stinney Jr. (third from left) entering the death house at South Carolina’s state prison in Columbia. The wheels of justice set forth in motion, leading Stinney to stand trial for the abhorrent murder of the two young girls. Standing before an all-white jury, Stinney was declared guilty, his fate sealed in a matter of mere minutes. Regrettably, no transcript documenting the brief trial was preserved, and a mere ten minutes sufficed for the jury to decide the tragic destiny of the young boy. Any possibility of appeal was effectively extinguished.

Following a mere two-hour trial, a sentence was promptly handed down, culminating in a chilling pronouncement: “…to be electrocuted until your physical form is bereft of life, in accordance with the dictates of the law.” A plea for divine mercy accompanied this solemn decree.

A white defense attorney, appointed by the court, undertook Stinney’s legal representation. Alas, this attorney’s approach failed to present evidence or summon witnesses in defense of his young client.

Notably, the courtroom bore an exclusionary stance, barring individuals of African descent from its confines. Despite the dearth of conclusive evidence tying Stinney to the crime, he was condemned to the electric chair, a verdict tainted by the absence of due process.

Stinney endured 81 days of incarceration before his life was extinguished, a period marked by limited visitation from his parents. Eventually led to an electric chair designed for adults at the Columbian Penitentiary, Stinney’s petite frame—measuring a mere 5 feet and 1 inch, and weighing 95 pounds—offered no reprieve. Despite the chair’s restraints, adjusted to accommodate larger individuals, books were strategically positioned to account for Stinney’s slight stature.

As the switch was flicked, Stinney’s form convulsed, witnessed by a crowd of approximately 40 observers. Tragically, this young soul, a mere 14 years of age, etched his name in history as the youngest person to face execution in the United States during the 20th century.

A Reexamination of George Stinney’s Case:

Numerous decades later, scrutiny turned toward the authenticity of Stinney’s confession, the question of his guilt, and the integrity of the judicial proceedings culminating in his execution. Over the years, repeated calls for a reopening of the case ensued, driven by an array of flaws and perceived injustices.

Stinney’s family, burdened by the aftermath of his arrest and the tumultuous events that followed, endured considerable hardships. The community’s reaction to his trial and subsequent demise resulted in significant prejudice, forcing his family into exile from Alcolu, a town they never revisited. Following Stinney’s arrest, his father faced professional repercussions, losing his employment at a local lumber yard. Evicted from their home, the family was compelled to depart town abruptly, devoid even of the opportunity to pack their belongings.

Though the past could not be rewritten, Stinney’s family fervently pursued the exoneration of his name. In 2013, the family embarked on a quest for a fresh trial.

Seventy years after the conviction, a glimmer of justice emerged:

Katherine Robinson, one of Stinney’s sisters, recounts her memories from the day of his arrest during her testimony. A momentous turn of events arrived in 2014, as a South Carolina judge overturned Stinney’s murder conviction, culminating in his exoneration. Judge Carmen Mullen noted that Stinney’s legal counsel had inadequately cross-examined his accusers. Furthermore, the dearth of witnesses further underscored the problematic nature of the proceedings.

Amie Rufner, Stinney’s sister, bore witness to his presence at their familial abode at the time of the girls’ tragic demise. This compelling testimony cast significant doubt upon the notion of his involvement in their murder.

Wilford “Johnny” Hunter, Stinney’s fellow inmate, unveiled Stinney’s resolute denial of the crime. Stinney’s poignant words—”Johnny, I didn’t, didn’t do it… Why would they execute me for something I did not do?”—echoed the desperation of an innocent soul facing a dire fate.

Judge Carmen Mullen ultimately declared Stinney’s sentence to be both cruel and unusual, acknowledging a breach of the victim’s due process rights throughout the prosecution. The trial itself bore inherent flaws, including the coerced nature of Stinney’s confession, rendering it inadmissible. Additionally, the prosecution failed to uphold Stinney’s constitutional rights from the moment of his arrest until the tragic culmination of his life through electrocution.

About Fehmeeda Farid Khan

A freelancer, blogger, content writer, translator, tour consultant, proofreader, environmentalist, social mobilizer, poetess and novelist. As a physically challenged person, she extends advocacy on disability related issues. She's masters in Economics and Linguistics along with B.Ed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *